Q8Sultana's Blog...

Generally I can be found roaming somewhere in the world. I'm originally from Hungary, I grew up in Kuwait, I did my BA in the States, my MA in the UK, and now work in Hungary, but still return to Kuwait regularly :o)

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Eurab

I found a very cool blog, called Desert Girl on Kuwait. I especially liked how she described herself as an Amerab "getting culture shock from both continents (US and Kuwait)." She went on to say "no one understands me."
I also came accross another blog (don't remeber which one exactly) where the writer said he/she is a "self proclaimed Kuwaiti."
Well, it comes as great relief that other people feel similarly as I do. People always tell me it must have so great to have lived abroad so much (growing up in Kuwait, then the US for college and my home country in between) and yes it was great, except sometimes I have no idea who I am, or where I belong.
I am very thankful though for growing up in Kuwait. It was a very sheltered childhood, but I wouldn't exchange it for anything. Of course it also messed me up a little bit. (I mean as a kid my Ken dolls used to have four Barbie wives with napkins on their heads.)
The older I get the more I feel that it's so hard to find people who understand me and why I'm the way I am. Also, I'm losing patience. If someone asks me "So, do you ride around on a camel in Kuwait, duh" or "say something in Arabic" I can't even hide my annoyance and just want to get away. Maybe I'm just making a big deal out of nothing.
Every time I arrive in Kuwait though, I always sort of find this peace of mind, that I'm finally home and I find myself again.
But at the same time, it saddens me so much to see all the negative changes in Kuwait and the people. I kind of wish it was still that simple safe place where I grew up.
Anyway, 8 more days and I'll be crusing on Gulf Road again...:o)
(hehe, probably not)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home