Q8Sultana's Blog...

Generally I can be found roaming somewhere in the world. I'm originally from Hungary, I grew up in Kuwait, I did my BA in the States, my MA in the UK, and now work in Hungary, but still return to Kuwait regularly :o)

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Day 12

I tried taking a picture of my glasses as they fog up when I go outside from an air conditioned place into the 99% humidity. I forgot that not only my glasses but also my camera’s lens will fog up, so the picture is double foggy :o)

I went to Sable to pick up some dessert, and took this picture of the sunset over Hawally, again with a foggy camera.
They are building what appears to be a shopping center in Jabriya. That will be great. During the school year on weekdays in the mornings and afternoons, Jabriya is inaccessible. Just block 12 alone has three schools right next to each other. There’s no way in or out. We pay a bunch of money for our apartment, and we can’t even get out of it, or get to it between 7 and 8 in the morning and 12:30 and 2:30 in the afternoon. Also, there’s two hospitals (Mubarak and Hadi) in Jabriya generating more traffic, and they are building a new maternity clinic. Then there's a mini restaurant street. So yeah, Jabriya really needs a shopping mall to add to the chaos.
Of course the traffic problem is widespread in Kuwait, and complete lack of city planning is just making things worse. Wallah, if I was settling here long term I would move to the edge of the desert, away from schools and malls and traffic jams.
The other thing I don’t understand is that people build these houses for hundreds of thousands of KDs, they are the size of a small palace, and they are all squished up close to each other, like there was not enough land or something. There’s like a meter between houses. You look out the window and see right into your neighbor’s house. (Well, theoretically you would if the curtains weren’t shut 24/7) And most houses don’t even have a garden, again as if there was a shortage of land. I think the best part about living in a house (as opposed to an apartment) would be to have a garden.
So, I think if I was living here permanently I would move to Wafra and live on a farm :o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home