Q8Sultana's Blog...

Generally I can be found roaming somewhere in the world. I'm originally from Hungary, I grew up in Kuwait, I did my BA in the States, my MA in the UK, and now work in Hungary, but still return to Kuwait regularly :o)

Monday, August 01, 2005

Day 24


Yesterday I had to accompany someone on a trip to the Parliament (Majles). I’ve been there several times before (like everywhere else in Kuwait) but this was the first time I had the chance to sit in the Emir’s chair in his private office.

Here’s some facts about the building from the brochure that was given to us by our tour guide…
The building was built between 1978 and 1985. It was designed by Danish architect Jorn Utzon, to be the shape of an Arabian tent. Jorn Utzon is famous for having designed the Sydney Opera house.

The construction cost 86 million dollars. After the Gulf War the reconstruction of the building cost 64 million dollars.

One thing that caught my eye was an elevator for people with wheelchairs on the side of the steps at the main entrance to the building. Although I haven’t checked, to me it would seem really hard for a person in a wheelchair to function in Kuwait. From what I heard, they, and anyone with disabilities, are stigmatized by Kuwaiti society. I might be misinformed, but come to think of it, I hardly ever see people with disabilities.

The picture with the carpet was taken in the Parliament’s Mosque. I liked the color.

Security as usual washigh, with tanktraps all around the building. Their shape always reminds me of snowflakes... :o)

Also yesterday, we were wondering around Eureka with my boyfriend checking out laptops and flat screen TVs, when we found ourselves in the musical instrument section. Out of nowhere I remembered how to play the first few notes of the Kuwaiti anthem on the piano. I think we learned it back in middle school for some school concert. I never saw my boyfriend move so quickly. By the time I looked up he was already on the other side of the store, hiding from embarrassment.
All day today I was reading and writing diligently for my dissertation, I’m beginning to see hope of actually finishing it.
In the evening we wanted to actually watch the news on KTV2, to see if tomorrow will be a day off for my dad, but for some unexplainable reason the news was in Arabic. Same on 99.7. Put together, my dad and I understand enough Arabic to have figured out that there’s going to be mourning for three days, but apparently there’s still work for him tomorrow. I just heard on BBC, that in Saudi there’s no mourning or flags at half mast, as that would be considered blasphemous. Interesting.
I watched the memorial TV show about King Fahd (in Arabic of course – not even a subtitle) for some time. They showed some shots of the Emir also, from when he was younger and in good shape. There was a picture of him at the Parliament from the 1960s when he was still only a minister. He was a little chubby and really handsome. Man, he got so old.
Finally yet another sunset picture. It’s an obsession :o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home