Q8Sultana's Blog...

Generally I can be found roaming somewhere in the world. I'm originally from Hungary, I grew up in Kuwait, I did my BA in the States, my MA in the UK, and now work in Hungary, but still return to Kuwait regularly :o)

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Remembering

My grandmother used to say that she will never forget the day World War II broke out. Similarly she still remembers what she was doing exactly when she heard the news that President Kennedy was shot in 1963, or when Neil Armstrong walked on the Moon for the first time in 1969.
My parents remember events like the Chernobyl nuclear accident in 1986.
I still remember watching on TV the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989, and I can still recount minute by minute what I was doing on the morning of 9/11.
I also still remember getting news that Kuwait was invaded by Iraq on August 2, 1990. I still remember my dad unpacking the suitcase he prepared for his flight on August 3. I still remember wondering what’s going to happen to my toys, my desk in school, and the swing I used to play on.
The first time I came to Kuwait was in 1982. I was only one and a half years old, and we were actually traveling on to Iraq by car, as my dad used to work there back then. We returned in 1989, and coming from Eastern Europe, to an 8 year old Kuwait was a wonderland. I remember playing in the balls at Hardee’s in Fahaheel, the first time I drank Sprite and ate KitKat, and my first day at school, when I only knew two words in English: Yes and No. I remember loving to go to school though.
During the invasion, I remember watching the news, and praying that the war would be over and one day we would come back.
In 1992, I remember landing at the old airport. I remember collecting bullet shells with my mom from around the trenches that were still near the beach in Mangaf. I remember hearing the explosions of mines shaking the windows. I remember the posters warning people what mines look like. I remember the forests of little red flags in the desert marking the mines. I remember the rocks on the seaside, still black from oil.
I remember spying the moon to see if it’s the Ramadan crescent. I remember plastic Christmas trees, and winters without snow.
I remember getting goosebumps from the heat, and clothes drying in 5 minutes. Floating and snorkeling in the Gulf. Building sand castles at Messilah beach and collecting shells.
I remember my best friend, our secrets and good times.
I remember my first love, my first kiss and my first heartache. I remember Crew X parties, lots of shisha, home made wine, Jackson, and getting sick from it.
I remember shopping for a prom dress, and throwing my cap in the air at graduation.
I remember going to the movies in Ahmadi, the first Body Shop in Fahaheel, Fanar being built, and waiting for a table at Friday’s when it was new.
I remember the happiness of returning and the sadness of leaving.
I remember the best years of my life growing up here.
حفظ الله الكويت و شعبها من كل مكروه

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home