Q8Sultana's Blog...

Generally I can be found roaming somewhere in the world. I'm originally from Hungary, I grew up in Kuwait, I did my BA in the States, my MA in the UK, and now work in Hungary, but still return to Kuwait regularly :o)

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Dimna

In the open country near the Ras in the old days there stood a small village consisting of a few mud huts clustered round a single tamarisk tree. The name of the place was Dimna, a word which has a pleasant sound to European ears, but in Arabic it means "sheep's droppings" so of course when the new suburb was built the name had to be changed. It was called Salimiyah after Shaikh Abdullah as Salim. Today it is hard to know exactly whre the village stood; it has been obliterated. (page 55)

I couldn't help but laugh when I read this. Does dimna really mean that?

Hawally was another name which had meant something to me in old Kuwait. It had been a desert village eight miles out of town, characterized by its small vegetable gardens surrounded by low mud walls. Where is Hawalli now? It is one of the 'neighbourhood units' of the suburbs, with its own high street, shopping center and cinema. Gone are the mud-walled gardens and the modest houses, and in their place stretch streets of endless ugliness. (page 54)

Zahra Freeth: A New Look at Kuwait (1972)

Well, I guess Hawally hasn't really changed in 30 years :o)

5 Comments:

Blogger Jewaira said...

Thanks for sharing those tidbits ;)

11:03 AM, November 16, 2005  
Blogger 3baid said...

"Does dimna really mean that?"

I dunno! I never heard that meaning before I thought it meant "we lasted" or "we always". *shrugs*

And you're right about Hawalli :/

8:03 PM, November 16, 2005  
Blogger Judy Abbott said...

what makes her word trusted?

1:41 AM, November 18, 2005  
Blogger BitterSweet said...

Thanks for this interesting info! I wonder where Khaitan came from?

12:33 AM, November 21, 2005  
Blogger شرقاوي said...

In classical Arabic, dimna means the remains of nomadic camp sites. Not necessarily sheep's droppings.

However, locally, it came to mean just the droppings.

7:51 PM, December 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home