Q8Sultana's Blog...

Generally I can be found roaming somewhere in the world. I'm originally from Hungary, I grew up in Kuwait, I did my BA in the States, my MA in the UK, and now work in Hungary, but still return to Kuwait regularly :o)

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Fireplace :o)


I got a little package from home today, filled with Christmas goodies, including a tiny Christmas stocking. Well, I happen to have a fireplace it looks awesome on :o)
Actually in Hungary we don't have Christmas stockings, only in recent years did they appear as an influence from the US. Our Christmas holidays are completely different than in the US or even England. For example, Santa for us comes on December 6, and filles kids shoes (not socks) with mostly candy.
We actually refer to Christmas as the Holiday of Happiness, or Holiday of the Family, and for many secular people it has no religious significance, but rather its a time for the family to be together.
Those who are religios only celebrate the birth of Jesus (no Santa involved at all) at Christmas.
We decorate the Christmas tree on the December 24, and exchange gifts on Christmas Eve (Dec 24, at night) and usually have a festive dinner, generally involving fish, duck or turkey. Families on this day stay at home. No Christmas parties.
On Christmas Day (Dec 25) we have lunch, and visit relatives and eat more. This continues on Dec 26.
The official day to take down the Christmas tree is January 6, but many people leave it on longer.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stinni said...

Oooh, I loved this post. I was just talking to a friend of mine the other day about learning how other people in the world celebrate Christmas. Your stocking looks cute hung up over the fireplace. Fireplace, England, ok - I'm envious! =)

8:30 AM, November 22, 2005  
Blogger William said...

I want to celebrate Christmas now! I want my santa to wear a dishdasha and come riding a camel, just so I will have stories to tell at home.

Nice fireplace btw, I'm jealous.

9:21 AM, November 22, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home