Q8Sultana's Blog...

Generally I can be found roaming somewhere in the world. I'm originally from Hungary, I grew up in Kuwait, I did my BA in the States, my MA in the UK, and now work in Hungary, but still return to Kuwait regularly :o)

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Old books about old Kuwait

Next week is "reading week" so I decided to lend some "fun" books from the library. Not that my readings for class are not fun, cause they actually are, but I came accross some books about Kuwait written by foreigners who grew up/lived/worked there decades ago:

Zahra Freeth: Kuwait was my home (1956)
Zahra Freeth: A new look at Kuwait (1972)
Mary Bruins Allison: Doctor Mary in Arabia (1994)

Zahra Freeth is the daughter of Colonel Harold Dickson who was the British Political Agent in Kuwait from 1929-1936. Their house, called the Dickson house, is on the Gulf Road, opposit the fish market next to Souq Sharq. It's a museum today.
I'm almost done with the first book and it's awesome. It's about Zahra's return to Kuwait in 1946, after being in England for school for 10 years. She describes the changes that took place in just 10 years, during which the first oil revenues started flowing in.
The second book seems to be about her returning in the 70s.

Mary Bruins Allison was the first female doctor at the so called American Hospital (being renovated on the Gulf Road). She arrived in Kuwait in 1934 and kept returning for 40 years, and the book is her memoir.

I love our library....

3 Comments:

Blogger Mr.Tea said...

hi, e garaithom hal kotob o 7eta al7een tarjmoohom chena ,wayed nice bs 3endee Q entay bs tegrain 3an lekuwait wela fe shaghlat thanya intresting ?

11:42 AM, November 08, 2005  
Blogger q8Sultana said...

Well, since this blog is lised on KuwaitBlogs, it is kind of in the rules that it has to have something to do with Kuwait, so I decided to record the non-Kuwait-related parts of my life elsewhere.

Since now I'm living in England, the only thing I do related to Kuwait is my studies, and since all these books and resources are at my disposal, I figured it would be a great opportunity to absorb as much knowldge about Kuwait, and other areas of the Gulf, as possible, since living in Kuwait for so many years didn't guarantee that I know all about it in detail. In fact I come accross new and surprising things all the time.

For your info, I also enjoy reading, painting glass, travelling, watching movies, listening to music, making websites and collecting postcards.

3:56 PM, November 08, 2005  
Blogger Spontaneousnessity said...

you understand kuwaiti?!! I mean you just got what Mr.Tea said?!

10:18 AM, November 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home