Q8Sultana's Blog...

Generally I can be found roaming somewhere in the world. I'm originally from Hungary, I grew up in Kuwait, I did my BA in the States, my MA in the UK, and now work in Hungary, but still return to Kuwait regularly :o)

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

AWARE Center

Does any of you have any experience with the AWARE center?
(AWARE = Advocates for Western-Arab Relations)
Their mission statement from their website:
"Our mission is to promote relations between Westerners and Arabs by organizing social activities and information services related to Arab and Islamic culture. The AWARE Center is a non-profit, non-government and non-political organization."

I attended quite a few of their events, such as boat rides around Kuwait bay, visits to places, lectures, Diwaniya visit etc etc, and they were quite nice.
Definitely one of its kind in Kuwait, although somewhat disorganized at times...

But one thing that kind of always bothered me was how they advocate relations between WESTERNERS and Arabs. Westerner is just such a politically incorrect word I think. Let's say if I was from Japan, then Im not welcome? Japan is in the East...
Im Hungarian, technically from Eastern Europe...
I think Expatriate would have been a much better choice. But then of course the acronym AWARE wouldn't work...

Anyway, Im just curious what kind of experiences you guys had with them...

I kind of wish I didn't miss the camel race activity on Dec 15...that will be fun for sure...Ive been dying to see one of those robot camel jokeys...:o)

3 Comments:

Blogger Judy Abbott said...

yes i used to be with them :)
what do you want to know?
they are in surra pass by they will welcome you be9ader ra7eb..or if you come tomorrow to the BLS bazar in SAS al hashemy you can meet them.

2:21 AM, December 07, 2005  
Blogger q8Sultana said...

I know them too. As I said I've participated in many activities with them
I was just curious if others know about them also, and what their impressios are

2:52 AM, December 07, 2005  
Blogger McArabian said...

To be fair, I believe the West feels more threatened by Arabs and Muslims than the Far East. I don't think anyone in Japan is worried about Arab/Muslim terrorist attacks.

That being said, I'd advocate a center of relations between Arabs (especially the GCC countries) and Far East countries since a lot of our 'guest workers' come from the Far East.

5:09 AM, December 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home