Q8Sultana's Blog...

Generally I can be found roaming somewhere in the world. I'm originally from Hungary, I grew up in Kuwait, I did my BA in the States, my MA in the UK, and now work in Hungary, but still return to Kuwait regularly :o)

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Christmas in Mixed Marriages

There's a number of bloggers either married to Kuwaitis or who are only half-Kuwaiti. This blog entry is directed to them.

Do you celebrate Christmas even though you're raising your children as Muslims?
If you do/did, did that create any confusion for you as a child (that you had a Christmas tree while other Kuwaiti families didn't)?
Did your Kuwaiti husband/father ever object to having Christmas? What about his Kuwaiti family?

This is just general wondernment.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was raised in such an environment and my family celebrated all festivities equally. To me it was simply an occasion to get more toys. I grew up to be a proud atheist which is how I’m raising my own children now.

6:43 PM, December 03, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are both Kuwaities .we celebrate xmas,since my children were small ,we have xmas tree and presents.we love it.

10:32 PM, December 03, 2005  
Blogger Stinni said...

I'm American, married to a Kuwaiti and we celebrate Christmas. I was raised by athiest/agnostic parents so Christmas in our home was a cultural holiday, focusing on family, friends, and of course: presents! :)

My children are lucky. They get to celebrate double holidays.

Also, when I first moved to Kuwait (about 8 years ago), I had a "don't ask don't tell" policy with my in-laws. I was living in their home and had to sneak my Christmas tree up to my apartment. Eight years later and some of them wish me a merry Christmas and one of my in-laws actually gets me Christmas type decorations every year.

8:32 AM, December 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home