Q8Sultana's Blog...

Generally I can be found roaming somewhere in the world. I'm originally from Hungary, I grew up in Kuwait, I did my BA in the States, my MA in the UK, and now work in Hungary, but still return to Kuwait regularly :o)

Friday, December 09, 2005

The English Bathroom

I've been meaning to write this post for a while...

Bathrooms in England are very peculiar. They are full of curious gadgets. I have taken some pictures to demostrate this:


Figure 1.1: The washbasin has two separate faucets; one for hot water and one for cold water. The cold water facet has freezing cold water coming out of it (especially during winter time); the hot water faucet has burning hot water coming out of it. So it’s pretty much unsuitable for any use…

Figure 1.2: You can find this “thing” in the shower. This is where you can set the water temperature of the shower water. Yes, you turn it on and off with a button (Start/Stop).



Figure 1.3: And finally the stringy thing. The stringy thing is actually a light switch. Yupp, you have to pull it to turn the lights on and off.

7 Comments:

Blogger teagirl said...

How funny! I wouldnt be able to use that bathroom, the best bathrooms are in kuwait.

3:18 AM, December 09, 2005  
Blogger SpiKeY said...

hehe tell me about it...my first ear i had to use those...thank god for the new buildings in scotland...kuwait is the best

4:27 AM, December 09, 2005  
Blogger McArabian said...

Heh - the sink thing is more of a wash-basin than an actual sink. You plug it in and run both taps until you get a pool of water that's the temperature you want and you wash your face like that. The English are really big on baths, so I'm not surprised that the sinks work on the same concept.
That shower gizmo looks pretty cool though - but I have no idea why they use a string for a light switch.

5:16 AM, December 09, 2005  
Blogger Stinni said...

You can find strings for lights in some older homes in New England.

I've lived in Kuwait for so long that I'd be lost without "the hose" in the bathroom. Heh.

8:58 AM, December 09, 2005  
Blogger BitterSweet said...

Funny that you mentioned the basins. I was wondering about it in the beginning. Now I’m quite used to it. It remains very strange however! I think also that it is one of the typical English things .The English want and need to have “things on their own way”, just like driving on the left side of the road and having the steering wheels on the left side of the car.

The string thing: I’ve learned recently that it is extremely hazardous to place a light switch in the bathroom on normal height level. The best place to place these is as a high as possible (sealing) And therefore you need the string to switch the lights on and of :-)

1:24 PM, December 09, 2005  
Blogger Purgatory said...

ah good days :)

3:30 PM, December 09, 2005  
Blogger 3baid said...

I love this post! :D
British sinks are tiny as well. I love how they look but washing my hands in them requires practice because of the small space :P

3:11 AM, December 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home