Q8Sultana's Blog...

Generally I can be found roaming somewhere in the world. I'm originally from Hungary, I grew up in Kuwait, I did my BA in the States, my MA in the UK, and now work in Hungary, but still return to Kuwait regularly :o)

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Flamingoes

For many years the beach behind Kuwait University used to be the place where ships and boats went to die. There was, however, one good thing among the rubble and decaying metal: flamingoes. Hundreds of the pink birds used to hang out and just do their thing in the stinky shallow waters around the boat corpses.

I drove by the same beach in December, and the shipwrecks are gone and the area cleaned up.
Did the birds return?

4 Comments:

Blogger Flamingoliya said...

i actually thought this post was about me ;p
nice pictures though. i would love to see them there now.

7:21 AM, January 15, 2006  
Blogger meWHO! said...

What really annoyed me before beside the broken ships was the smell!! I think that will go now..nice pictures :)

8:34 AM, January 15, 2006  
Blogger Desert Girl said...

I have heard that they are migrating to the bogs near Bubiyan Island now.

What is really disgusting is that they will probably build offices over that stinky land - and God only knows what kind of environmental hazards there are in the soil.

11:52 PM, January 15, 2006  
Anonymous Pearls said...

I remember around 2 years ago I went with a friend of mine to see the pink Flamingos at KISR, Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research, and I was so amazed to see so many wandering gracefully on the shore, and I think I saw others with their heads buried down in the sand.

I wish I can go see them again!

12:55 AM, January 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home