Q8Sultana's Blog...

Generally I can be found roaming somewhere in the world. I'm originally from Hungary, I grew up in Kuwait, I did my BA in the States, my MA in the UK, and now work in Hungary, but still return to Kuwait regularly :o)

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The truth about Kuwait’s National Day

Everybody knows that Kuwait’s National Day is February 25. But does everyone know why it’s February 25?

Throughout the years I spent in Kuwait I was always told the national day commemorates Kuwait gaining independence from Britain in 1961. But I just read that that’s not the case at all.
Kuwait gained independence from Britain in 1961…but on June 19!

So what’s with the February 25?

On February 25, 1950 Sheikh Abdullah Al-Salem Al-Sabah became ruler of Kuwait.

“Indeed, Abdallah’s accession day, February 25, is celebrated as Kuwait’s national day because of the pivotal role Abdallah played in bringing Kuwait from poverty and dependence to independence and wealth.”
(Jill Crystal: KUWAIT The Transformation of an Oil State. Page 23)

Did everyone know this already?

5 Comments:

Blogger Rampurple said...

:D i went through this 2 months ago:
http://rampurple.com/blog/2005/11/22/kuwait-independence-day/

it was a shock to me ... maybe coz i never thought of it lol

12:18 AM, January 19, 2006  
Anonymous just surfin said...

this is pretty much common knowledge for kuwaities actually. People love Abdallah Al-Salim and celebrate his accession as the national day because of his role in bringing independence to kuwait -which is preciesly what you mentioned. I don't understand why its such a big deal for foreigners to understand why Kuwaities choose to honor this day, especially since it represents the true spirit of independence.

1:01 AM, January 19, 2006  
Blogger forzaq8 said...

as i said in ram blog i was told that because Sheikh Abdullah Al Salem not only was the amir who got independence , he also had Constitution , which basicly take away some power out of amirs and give it to the people

so people would consider him becoming an amir a happier moment than the day talks with british government agreed on , since it was normal talk , no fighting or resistant in it

3:28 AM, January 19, 2006  
Blogger q8Sultana said...

Rampurple: I totally missed that post of yours.
By the way, I tried to comment on your entry about books, but it wouldn't let me. I don't remeber what it said, but I think it thought I'm spam.

Forzaq8: Thanks for your input!
This was completely new to me. It was actually Kuwaitis who totally misinformed me about National Day. And after I heard it 2-3 times I guess I believed it.

It's really a shame that in private schools in Kuwait they hardly teach any Kuwaiti history. I mean there was a class called Kuwait social studies for a year or so, but noone took it seriously. And it was waaay back in middle school.

4:30 AM, January 19, 2006  
Anonymous DaLaGeem said...

well ,, i was shocked not by the news .. but to know that there are kuwaiti ppl who don't know about it YET !! ... it's almost like you don't know where is kuwait on the map , what is our flag ,, or who is the Emir of Kuwait ( alla yer7omah ) ... really shocked .. i blame the new teaching systems .. and also your parents !! didn't they mentioned that to u !! never !! ok .. what about news papers .. when they talk about that day on 19th of June every year !! come on !!!

this is not for u q8Sultana .. it's for every one who just knew that !!

5:35 PM, January 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home