Q8Sultana's Blog...

Generally I can be found roaming somewhere in the world. I'm originally from Hungary, I grew up in Kuwait, I did my BA in the States, my MA in the UK, and now work in Hungary, but still return to Kuwait regularly :o)

Thursday, February 23, 2006

In the early 80s, when I was still just a baby, we lived in Iraq for a year while my dad's company was building a pipleline somewhere in the desert. Even though I can't remeber anything as I was about 2 years old, we still have a lot of photos that were taken at all sorts of historic places.

There is one picture of my mom and me in a stroller taken in front of a beautiful Mosque with a golden dome. Just last year I spent some time searching on the internet trying to figure out where the picture was taken, and it turned out the Mosque was the Al-Askari Mosque in Samarra.

Yesterday, the beautiful golden dome was blown off this same Mosque...


Sunnis don't regard Shia mosques as mosques? Or it's just ok to blow up mosques in general?

3 Comments:

Blogger Temetwir said...

sultana i wouldnt say "sunnis" because that would suggest that "ur everyday suni muslim" was responsible for the bombings.. that is something which i personally as a shee3i strongly resent

by the same token, the idiots who call themselves 'she3a' stormed in sunni mosques and killed a number of muslims .. i would equally resent saying that 'the ones responsible were shee3a' .. to me, theyre just lost souls

if u REALLY want to know how the shee3a and sunna feel towards this tragedy, keep an eye out for whatever al-sistani (as one example) has to say .. and also, the Sunna parties in iraq
and NOT what 'whoever call themselves x and y' do .. becoz they are held accountable to their PERSONAL behaviour and actions, not whole sects

5:15 PM, February 23, 2006  
Blogger William said...

I didn't even know there were different types of Muslims until I came here (referring to sunni and shiite (american newspaper spelling)). You have fanatics either way and it's sad that a small number can give the whole a bad name. It's actually very sad. Blowing up Mosques (which I believe the one big grand peacher man (cant remember term.. Aiatola or something) was one thing the guy said not to do, so instead people take others from inside of one and kill them. Ug.

I really hope they don't head towards civil war. That's gonna be bad for Muslims everywhere, let alone the rest of the world. The mental image of Islam is already horrible to most non-Muslims and this stuff doesn't help.

7:22 AM, February 24, 2006  
Anonymous Pearls said...

It's just so sad to see this.

4:20 PM, February 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home