Q8Sultana's Blog...

Generally I can be found roaming somewhere in the world. I'm originally from Hungary, I grew up in Kuwait, I did my BA in the States, my MA in the UK, and now work in Hungary, but still return to Kuwait regularly :o)

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Elections 2006

The municipality elections are taking place in Kuwait right now. If I am not mistaken, this is the first election women can run and vote for, so it's definitely a first. The huge posters springing up on the side of the roads, and blocking views in U-turns, however, are regular at election times.
They also seem to have tents put up for the candidates to give campaign speaches in. I'm trying to persuade friends to go hang out and "mingle" in one of them, but everyone I know is very passive politically and doesn't care.
I have seen signs with women's names, but so far no portraits of them smiling at drivers :o) Are women candidates even allowed to put their pictures on posters?
I've also been told that women will vote the same as their husbands/fathers/brothers/male relatives. I'm guessing that was an exaggerated generalization, but is it possible that at least some women will be stopped from voting (by family members) or influenced by them in who to vote for?

5 Comments:

Blogger 3baid said...

It's going to be interesting to see what happens :)

1:57 AM, March 27, 2006  
Blogger me7tar-na7ees said...

The candidate whose picture-less poster appears in the first picture needs to go back to school and learn how to spell “al-jamee3” properly!

9:52 AM, March 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Sultana, but 'al-jamee3' is not mis-spelt in the poster!

9:34 PM, March 27, 2006  
Blogger me7tar-na7ees said...

yes it is - whoever wrote it remembered the second letter (the "lam") as an afterthought, and it is not for any lack of space.

10:20 AM, March 28, 2006  
Anonymous Pearls said...

I have only seen pictures of some female candidates in the paper but no portraits of them on the streets. I don't know why? Maybe they're not allowed by their husbands or the government. It's too expensive to print pictures anyways and like you said it’s too distracting for some drivers and it may pose some risks on the road. That could be another reason.

Good thing I'm allowed to vote for whoever I want. At least we’ve been given our right to participate in the parliament at last and vote now. I'm sure that some religious clerics would hate what I'd say now. Though, to tell you the truth, I’m not interested in all this. I might vote just for the fun of it.

11:11 AM, March 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home