Q8Sultana's Blog...

Generally I can be found roaming somewhere in the world. I'm originally from Hungary, I grew up in Kuwait, I did my BA in the States, my MA in the UK, and now work in Hungary, but still return to Kuwait regularly :o)

Friday, March 24, 2006

Resturant Review: Shatea Al-Watyia

Even though I’ve been in Kuwait for ages, I’ve never been to a Kuwaiti restaurant. Until tonight that is.We went to the restaurant called Shatea Al-Watyia, behind the Church in Kuwait city.




Well, even though it seemed a lot of effort was put into decorating the restaurant and collecting as many old Kuwaiti (or just simply old) memorabilia as possible, the service and especially the food still needs a lot of improvement.
First of all the napkins on the tables had stains on them and were not ironed, which gave a somewhat untidy impression. Then the drinks arrived 15 minutes after the appetizers. The food portions were way too large, and even the men in our group couldn’t finish them, which is a waste. Also, I understand that Kuwaiti cuisine is mainly chicken, lamb (which was repeatedly spelled lamp in the menu), and sea food, mixed with rice, but they could have added a few Indian or Lebanese dishes just to increase the assortment.

And we all wished they had a camel dish. I’ve never eaten camel meat, and there doesn’t seem to be a restaurant that has it.

I wrote a long list of suggestions to the owner of the restaurant who happened to show up, I hope he’ll read it.

There’s no tourism industry here as such, but there’s a lot of expats coming and going all the time, yet no one is making money off of them. Throw in some Kuwaiti music (maybe even a band of guys dancing with swords?), a few more dishes, a few more waiters wearing “traditional” Kuwaiti clothes, maybe a girl doing henna tattoos (I saw that in Dubai) and do some marketing, and this restaurant could be filled with tourists and expats who live in or visit Kuwait. It was a Thursday night, and there were just a few random people besides our group. And there aren’t even that many other Kuwaiti restaurants, so there’s no real competition!

7 Comments:

Blogger The Stallion said...

JC and I went to that place one time and we loved the antiques especially the old soda bottles and I enjoyed the cars! One thing that we didn't like was how we heard the bathroom water when we were in the little room that you had taken a picture of!

2:15 AM, March 24, 2006  
Blogger iDip said...

Actually, there are more than one Kuwaiti Restaurant, but "Shatea Al-Watyia" is different, because it's inside a "real" old Kuwaiti house.
(I posted some info about these houses here)

Indeed, this restaurant needs some extra care.

Regarding the camel dish, it wasn't a popular Kuwaiti dish in the old time, as well as being hard to prepare (takes hours) and hard to digest.

2:44 AM, March 24, 2006  
Blogger q8Sultana said...

IDIP: Thanks for the info on the houses.
If it's not much trouble, could you recommend some other Kuwaiti restaurants?
I know there's one here in Jabriyah, but it's like a take-away.

3:08 AM, March 24, 2006  
Blogger 3baid said...

You know, come to think of it I don't think I've been to a Kuwaiti restaurant either! I mean, I've had kuwaiti food obviously but it's always been home-made.

We need more Kuwaiti restaurants!

11:02 PM, March 24, 2006  
Blogger iDip said...

There's a new Kuwaiti Restaurant in Salimya, it's called "Fereej Swaileh" and it's next to Marks & Spencer. I can't recommend this one, because I haven't been there.

Another Kuwaiti eat-in Restaurant is Al-Marsa in "Le Meridien" Hotel. It serves sea food dishes, mainly Kuwaiti.

more

Those are the only eat-in Kuwaiti Restaurants I've heard of, yet. Once I know about more I'll inform you.

1:14 AM, March 25, 2006  
Anonymous Pearls said...

There's a good Kuwaiti seafood restaurant called 'Al-Marsa' in Le Meridien Hotel on the Gulf rd, Benied Al Gar.

11:33 AM, March 28, 2006  
Anonymous Pearls said...

After I finished posting my comment I noticed that iDip pointed out the same restaurant, lol.

11:38 AM, March 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home