Q8Sultana's Blog...

Generally I can be found roaming somewhere in the world. I'm originally from Hungary, I grew up in Kuwait, I did my BA in the States, my MA in the UK, and now work in Hungary, but still return to Kuwait regularly :o)

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Solar eclipse through an X-ray

I went to Marina Mall to take pictures of the solar eclipse this afternoon. I must have not paid attention in astronomy class, because I was under the impression that I would be able to see the eclipse, and the world would go dark and there’d be an end-of-world feeling. This didn’t happen at all.
Anyway, I was fumbling with my camera getting bored and hot in the sun in Starbucks, when this American guy from the next table said he’ll charge me if I take a picture of them. So I said I’m just waiting for the solar eclipse. They didn’t even know about it and were all surprised. Anyway, one guy from the group said we could see it if we looked through an X-ray. So he went to his car and brought an X-ray of his leg, and sure enough the eclipse became visible.
Here’s the shots I took. The first two pictures are without the X-ray.




The poor guy has my fingerprints all over his leg X-ray now though :o)

3 Comments:

Blogger skunk said...

hi there,

great pics of the eclipse!
completely forgot about the dental Xrays i have which i coulda used.

about the end of world thingy, did you notice the birds all shut upduring and started singing again shortly after?

5:57 PM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger q80_demon said...

Kuwait was not on the path of totality, so a partial eclipse was observed. If you wish to view a total eclipse from Kuwait, you must wait for the March 20, 2034 event – and totality will be observed from the southern parts of the country. If you want to view a total eclipse from *Kuwait City*, you must wait for the September 2081 event ;-))

I’m not sure about X-ray film, but if you want to use exposed film as a *safe* solar filter, you must use silver based film. B/W film is OK, but not color / C-41 films.

5:59 PM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Hazolat said...

way to go sultana, lovely pics.
ويحليله والله هالأمريكي ، زين قوليلي لو كويتي تشان هم خذيتي منه الأشعة ؟
:-P

12:27 AM, April 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home