Q8Sultana's Blog...

Generally I can be found roaming somewhere in the world. I'm originally from Hungary, I grew up in Kuwait, I did my BA in the States, my MA in the UK, and now work in Hungary, but still return to Kuwait regularly :o)

Thursday, March 23, 2006

WIZR – Kuwait’s greatest driver


UPDATE: I have created a separate blog dedicated to Keith Wells, and WIZR. You can find it here:

http://wizr.blogspot.com/

Is there anyone out there who has read the WIZR books (pictured above) by Keith Wells? They are a collection of incredibly funny short stories, complete with hilarious cartoons, about life in Kuwait. The books were written in the early 80’s, yet most of what is written still holds true and makes one roll on the floor with laughter.
I scanned in a chapter, “The Devil’s party,” that is general enough to make anyone laugh, yet has some Kuwaiti references. If you have a few minutes, click on the images to enlarge the pages and read the story.




We got these copies from that Airport about 10 years ago, but sometimes a few dusty copies surface in the Kuwait Bookshop in Al-Muthana.
Apparently the first Wizr book was published in 1978, and it’s green. If anyone could tell me where I can get a copy from I would really appreciate that. The white one is “The Second Wizr Book” and the red one is “The Last Wizr Book” (yes, green, white and red, like the Kuwaiti flag. So there might also be a black one ?)
Also, does anyone know who this Keith Wells guy is? There’s no information about him in the books at all. The books were printed here in Kuwait at Dar Al Seyassah.

13 Comments:

Blogger Sailor said...

its impossible to read the scaned pages,

5:23 AM, March 23, 2006  
Blogger q8Sultana said...

InshAllah the links are fixed :o)

6:10 AM, March 23, 2006  
Anonymous Tantalize said...

Yeah I remember them clearly. I even recalling doing an impromptu in high school on one of the stories. Peter Wells was a professor at K.U. at the time the last I can recall.

3:33 PM, March 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I spent 12 years in Kuwait Flying for Kuwait Airways as a Flight Engineer Officer on Boeing 747 Aircraft
Keith Wells books are really funny
I heard he died in Kuwait when an electric heater "fell" into his bath.
I hope it isn't true but a lot of Kuwaiti people were not happy with the descriptions of Kuwait which although funny were a bit too true for some.
Examples abounded of Arabs hygienically cleaning their noses for example while dealing with a luckless ex-pat.
He gave the local "culture" hell and it deserved it. My guess nothing has really changed.
I hope Keith Wells is alive and well but a talent like that would surely have surfaced elsewhere
and still be publishing.
The books should be reprinted and sold again.

2:40 AM, July 03, 2006  
Anonymous Simon J said...

I grew up in Kuwait and read all of the Wizr books in the early 80's.

Keith Wells used to make me haemorrhage with laughter.

These were some of the funniest things I'v ever read. A very tongue in cheek but accurate depiction of a pretty dire, chaotic bloody place. The illustrations of bug eyed depraved drivers in their Transam's were great as well (anyone know if he was responsible for the artwork?)

Sadly when my parents departed the Godforsaken place they forgot to take the books with them - still miss them today! God bless you Keith!!

10:11 PM, November 16, 2006  
Anonymous Simon J said...

Hmmmm found the homepage to the blog which succinctly answered my question. Good effort q8sultana - would be a shame if the exploits of WIZR were lost to the world!

10:18 PM, November 16, 2006  
Blogger 3baid said...

For some strange reason, that red book looks familiar :/

11:38 AM, March 04, 2007  
Anonymous Al72 said...

Any luck in finding those Wizr books? I am looking for the set too.
Wonder if enough people are interested we can't get a limited reprint ?

12:03 AM, August 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi everyone, the first Wizr book is on ebay. 21/11/07.

5:51 PM, November 21, 2007  
Anonymous Arukiyomi said...

aaahhh memory lane with Wizr cutting me up in the fast lane. Shame we can't actually see the pages there though... it says that images are are unavailable now.

11:53 AM, June 17, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew Keith Wells when in Kuwait in 1979 and have the green-covered book - I would love to get others if they are available.

7:56 PM, September 01, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also was in Kuwait in the early 80s I have the first and second books, I didn't know there was a third one - they still make me laugh.
I'd love to get the third one.

1:33 AM, December 06, 2013  
Anonymous Dimitrigwh said...

LOL, Wizr was the greatest, but don't forget Bashir Tuffit the worst mechanic in the Middel East... My parents have a copy of one of the Wizr books. Like to thumb thrue it once in a while

6:56 PM, July 04, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home