Q8Sultana's Blog...

Generally I can be found roaming somewhere in the world. I'm originally from Hungary, I grew up in Kuwait, I did my BA in the States, my MA in the UK, and now work in Hungary, but still return to Kuwait regularly :o)

Friday, April 07, 2006

Southpark / Block 13

I always wondered, did the makers of Block 13 have permission from the makers of Southpark to use their characters?
I personally liked Block 13, but not because I got the message of the episodes (if they even had one), but rather because I used to take notes and write down interesting Kuwaitit expressions, and then made my friends translate them.
I wonder, do they sell them anywhere with English subtitles?
On a similar note, did AlJazeera Airlines (low cost airlines in the Gulf) ask for permission from either the makers of Southpark or the makers of Block 13 to use a character on their ads?

9 Comments:

Blogger ananyah said...

I love Block 13 too! I used to watch them all and do the same ehehehehe great way to learn q80 :P

I really want them to watch with english subtitles!

I know the guys who designed the characters and bugged them about this b4

12:20 PM, April 07, 2006  
Blogger 3baid said...

I think you can get them on DVD but I'm not sure if they come with english subtitles :/

12:45 PM, April 07, 2006  
Blogger don_veto said...

I love Block 13 too. When it first came out you could download all the episodes from their website. I can't remember the URL. I know Atiyat's voice owner too. (he is not in the credits to avoid fame and fortune, I think)


Sultana and Ananyah I'm curious, what new Kuwaiti expressions did you learn?

8:39 PM, April 07, 2006  
Blogger bo9agr said...

who asks for permission here in Kuwait to do anything , nobody ! do you think Block 13 took permission from southpark ? of course not !!

8:48 AM, April 08, 2006  
Blogger bo9agr said...

I forgot to tell you , you can get them on VCD too from PC World in Hawalli - Ibn Khaldoun st. Wala Complex , but without english subtitles .

8:51 AM, April 08, 2006  
Blogger Darkholiday said...

I have the "block 13" Cd's and also South Park from season 1 ep 1 up to season 10 ep 3 (which is addressed to the people who are boycotting Denmark and Muslims in general) if you want it just ask and you'll have it for free you only have to provide the blank Cd's

2:14 PM, April 08, 2006  
Anonymous Q8pictures said...

you have got very nice Blogs. :)

4:30 PM, April 08, 2006  
Blogger Dr.Lost said...

im sure they didnt take permission from anyone :) love ur blog btw...

7:27 PM, April 08, 2006  
Blogger ananyah said...

don_veto- I learnt random things, funny saying, phrases and even words on their own :D

I still think we should demand english subtitles!

I even watch those soaps on KTV1 even though I only understand around 40%, I demand english subtitles on them too! I remember a few years ago, there used to be subtitles on one of them, I loved that show! Cant remember its name tho!

2:26 AM, April 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home